I really like Chrome as a browser, but I just haven't been able to use the thing on Linux because the fonts never looked right. I set my system for one font rendering, to make my Linux (GNOME) fonts beautiful and easy to read. But Chrome never picked up the new preferences.
I googled it today, and found a discussion from earlier in 2010 (sorry, lost the link) that mentions the problem, and the solution.
The problem: Chrome uses a different method to get font preferences. It uses a method that no other Linux (really, GNOME) apps use. So changing your font preferences in GNOME do nothing for Chrome.
The solution: Edit your ~/.fonts.conf file (this is probably a new file for you.) Add these lines:
<edit mode="assign" name="antialias"><bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hinting"><bool>false</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"><const>hintnone</const></edit>
You may need to edit the settings manually to match how your GNOME preferences. But after I did this, things looked a lot better for me.