Sunday, June 20, 2010

Command line Google

I've you've ever wanted to run scripted actions to update your web photo album, or post a blog entry, or do any number of other things, you may be interested to know that Google has released a command line client, only for Linux. Some examples from the article:

$ google picasa create --title "My album" ~/Photos/vacation/*.jpg

$ google blogger post --blog "My blog" --tags "python, googlecl, development" my_post.html

$ google calendar add "Lunch with Jason tomorrow at noon"

$ google docs edit --title "Shopping list" --editor vim

This has great potential to "power Linux" users. Personally, I'm interested in that last example, where you can run a command to edit a Google Docs document using offline tools. That has potential to extend how I use Google Docs.

But I also want to play around with that first example - uploading a bunch of photos to Picasa Web Albums. I mentioned before about how I've switched to Shotwell for managing and publishing digital photos. But sometimes you might have a bunch of digital photos that aren't managed by Shotwell (for example, I have old family photos, archived on CD) that you might want to push to a web photo album. This tool should make doing so a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Followers